- EcoHealth is rooted in serious science. In fact, it grew out of graduate courses from the University of Wisconsin at Madison and Johns Hopkins University.
- Our science team taps the latest research to keep the site up-to-date and accurate. EcoHealth’s Dr. Jonathan Patz has for over a decade been a lead author for the UN IPCC, which shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Photos, diagrams, maps, and video clips enhance our coverage of complex topics.
- Links take you to carefully-chosen sites where you can learn more.
- Lesson plans connect these vital topics to national science education standards.
- The news page links today's headlines to in-depth analysis throughout the site.
- The glossary includes cutting-edge scientific terms and phrases.
Better Health Benefits of Biking
This article discusses a recent study in the Environmental Health Perspectives journal, one that found small biking trips to be very beneficial to your health. This study, co-authored by Ecohealth 101's founder Dr. Jonathan Patz, and showed that even if people living in cities only biked about 140 days out of the year, billions of dollars could be saved avoiding car crashes and reduce the amount of pollution created by driving cars all the time.
See Ecohealth's Unbalancing Act for more information about the health risks that can be reduced even when you live in a big city or town.